Dehumidifier causes fire in Ferrysburg

Ferrysburg Fire

FERRYSBURG, MICH. - Firefighters remained on the scene well past midnight after responding to a fire in the basement of a Suffolk Street home shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday.

The homeowner at 16285 Suffolk called in the basement fire at 10:09 p.m. Suffolk Street is in the Harbor Point subdivision off West Spring Lake Road just past the Spring Lake Yacht Club.

Mike VanderMolen, his wife, son and their two dogs safely evacuated from the house.

VanderMolen said that the fire started in a dehumidifier in a back corner of the basement. He tried to put it out with an extinguisher but was unsuccessful, so he yelled for his wife to call 911.

“It’s unbelievable how fast it goes from nothing to something,” VanderMolen said as he stood off to the side watching smoke pour out of his two-story house. “It just wouldn’t go out.”

Spring Lake and Crockery Township firefighters also responded to the call. Additional manpower was requested from Norton Shores and Fruitport. Canteen 450 and North Ottawa Community Hospital paramedics were also on the scene.

Grand Haven Tribune


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment