Elderly man fires at Detroit TV crew

(WXYZ) - An 88-year-old man-knocked down-tied up and robbed in a violent home invasion.It happened on Arndt Street in Detroit just days ago.

The suspects are still at large.

Police say a woman knocked on the homeowner's front door, and asked for directions. Two men then reportedly pushed in, shoved the man to the ground, put a handgun to the man's head and tied him up with a phone cord. A blanket was put over his face.The robbers took off with $600 dollars in cash, a cell phone and a wallet.

Monday afternoon, 7 Action News went to the man's home to follow up on the incident. As with many of these cases, we try to give the victim of the crime a chance to talk to us, so we can more accurately tell the story of what happened, to help police find the suspects.

After 7 Action News Investigator Jonathan Carlson identified himself multiple times, and assured the man inside the crew was not there to harm him, the man eventually came to the door, brandishing a pistol. At that point, the crew quickly retreated, and the man came out on the porch, looked at Carlson and fired a shot, while the photographer was still on the porch trying to escape. After the shot was fired, from about 10 feet away, the crew ran for cover behind the news van, then noticing the man went back inside, they ran behind a farther away tree, and called 911.

Detroit police responded within minutes. Guns drawn, the man argued with police from his balcony, and was convinced to come out and surrender. He was placed in a patrol car, while officers searched for the gun. They were unable to find it, and believe he may have hid it before they entered.

The man, sources tell 7 Action News, has been taken to a crisis center for evaluation.

The actual shooting was not caught on camera, as the crew was preparing to leave once the gun was seen. However, the camera captured the crew running for cover. Another television crew heard the gunshot and witnessed the 7 Action News crew running for cover, as they were positioned just down the street. That station says they attempted to talk to the man as well, shortly before 7 Action News did. He was not violent toward them.

It is unclear if the man will face any charges.

Meanwhile, officers are still looking for three suspects in the home invasion at his house. Their descriptions of the suspects are vague.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment