GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - One person was hospitalized Thursday morning after a small explosion occurred at the Kent County Recycling and Education Center on Wealthy.
According to a news release from the center, the explosion was caused by three small one-pound propane cylinders. They exploded inside of the baler at the recycling center.
One person on staff was taken to the hospital for medical observation.
The center says that although the small camping-style propane cylinders are considered disposable, they are not recyclable. With camping season upon us, it's important that they are disposed of properly.
Propane tanks of all sizes should be taken to the following locations:
- South Kent Recycling & Waste Center, 10300 South Kent Drive, Byron Center
- North Kent Recycling & Waste Center, 2908 Ten Mile Road, Rockford
Or any of Kent County’s SafeChem household hazardous waste drop off centers, listed at www.accesskent.com/waste.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.
© 2017 WZZM-TV