DETROIT, MICH. - You clicked. So clearly you want to know.
A study by Cara - a mobile app that tracks your personal food and symptom diary - has determined that Detroit is the No. 1 city for "tummy pain" in America, based on 1.2 million data points from more than 30,000 Americans who track their diets with the app.
Cara advertises itself as an app with "smart tracking that helps you to discover patterns between your nutrition and your symptoms ... without a single drop of blood." You essentially use it to find connections and patterns between what you eat and what digestive symptoms you experience.
(That actually sounds quite useful.)
In combination with gastroenterologist Stefan Lueth, who's also a professor of internal medicine at Brandenburg Clinic in Germany, Cara used its app data to determine, for example:
- One in 5 Americans suffer from digestive issues.
- Women are 6 times (!) more likely to develop digestive issues than men.
- The states experiencing the worst digestive symptoms: West Virginia, Missouri, Louisiana, Texas and Maine.
- Boston is the worst city for bloating. Atlanta is the worst city for constipation. Nashville is the worst city for nausea. Dallas is the worst city for diarrhea.
- And - finally, because it's the most useful information of all - most Americans have a favorite pooping time (9 a.m. and 5 p.m., an obvious correlation to before and after work).
So that brings us back to Detroit, which seems to have a bigger problem with stomach pains than other American cities. What could be causing this?
Here are some of our ideas:
- Detroit coney dogs (But who cares? We're still going to eat them).
- The excessive number of milkshakes consumed during that recent heat wave.
- Hitting yet another pothole on a Michigan road.
- The Detroit Tigers' bullpen in a tight game.
- When you find out you can't put the word "POOP" on a Michigan license plate.
Feel free to read more about this study here.
Now who's hungry?!
© 2017 Detroit Free Press