Nurse puts out electrical fire at Battle Creek nursing home

BATTLE CREEK, MICH. - An electrical fire at a Battle Creek nursing home was quickly put out by a nurse on Saturday night. 

According to the Battle Creek Fire Department, the fire happened at the Battle Creek Manor Nursing Home around just after 10:15 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 13. Crews were dispatched to the nursing home facility on Wagner Drive on reports of a light fixture fire. 

Patients were evacuated from the facility and a nurse working used a dry chemical fire extinguisher to put the fire out. The fire alarm system appeared to be working properly, a release reads. 

When crews arrived, there was smoke in the south hallway however, the fire was out. The area was secured and ventilated. 

One nurse was treated for smoke and extinguisher agent inhalation at the scene. 

The fire caused about $250 in damages. The release from BCFD says the building will remain occupied while electrical repairs are made. 

►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.

April Stevens is a multi-platform producer at WZZM 13. Have a news tip? Email news@wzzm13.com, visit our Facebook page or Twitter.

© 2018 WZZM-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment