Child killed, 2 critical of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

11-year-old killed by carbon monoxide poisoning

SPRINGFIELD, MICH. - An 11-year-old girl is dead and two adults are in critical condition from an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Calhoun County Sheriff Department said the girl died after she and the adults were found unconscious in a home in the 700 block of West Michigan Avenue on Thursday night.

Deputies were sent to the home at 10:37 p.m. after a nearby resident reported that a family was staying in the house but didn't have electric service.

The resident reported hearing what sounded like a gas-powered generator and was concerned.

Deputies went to the home but were unable to make any contact with anyone inside. One deputy moved his patrol vehicle in position to stand on it and see inside and saw that the child and the adults appeared to be unconscious.

Deputies forced their way into the home and removed the three people. The three were taken by ambulance to various hospitals for treatment.

Deputies said a gas-powered generator powering a kerosene heater created carbon monoxide that accumulated inside.

The girl died while she was being treated at the hospital. The man, 44, and woman, 41, remain in critical condition, deputies said.

The sheriff department was assisted by Battle Creek officers, the Michigan State Police and Springfield Fire Department and LifeCare Ambulance.

Contact Trace Christenson at 269-966-0685 or tchrist@battlecreekenquirer.com. Follow him on Twitter: @TSChristenson.

© 2017 Battle Creek Enquirer


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment