Grand Haven man suffers serious burns in paint can explosion

GRAND HAVEN TOWNSHIP, MICH. - A 39-year-old Grand Haven man was seriously burned when a paint can exploded Tuesday night in his garage.

Emergency crews responded to a home on Meadowlark Drive at about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday on a possible garage fire with an explosion, according to the Grand Haven Tribune.

Police said that Kevin Sylvester was heating up a spray paint can with a propane torch, when it exploded.

The man was planning to paint the rims on his truck, said Ottawa County Sheriff Sgt. Steve Austin.

Sylvester suffered major burns to his arms, legs, face and head, Austin said.

An ambulance transported him to Hackley Hospital in Muskegon in serious, but stable condition. He later transferred to Spectrum Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids.

Hospital officials said that Sylvester was in fair condition Wednesday morning.

Responding firefighters reported there was no fire when they arrived on the scene.

Grand Haven Tribune


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment