GRFD: Borrowing power leads to house fire

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- A family is safe after escaping an overnight house fire that broke out on the city's southeast side.

It happened just after 12 a.m. Monday on Delaware Street just west of Eastern Avenue.

Firefighters say the people inside were borrowing electricity from their neighbors, and the way they had it hooked up caused a system overload.

When crews arrived the building was filled with smoke and a desk was on fire. They put it out quickly and installed smoke detectors in the home, since it did not already have working detectors inside.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment