GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - Grand Rapids Police continue to investigate a shooting that claimed the life of one man and injured eight others. They confirm that they have executed several search warrants including one at a home on 33rd St SW near Eastern Ave.
All eight people injured in the mass shooting on Grand Rapids' Southeast Side are expected to survive, according to police.
Police identify the man killed as 21-year-old Juwan Boykin. He was shot during a large party around 3:45 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 9, inside the Clearance Outlet store on 28th Street near Kalamazoo Avenue.
Police found Boykin dead inside the building upon arrival, with a crowd of at least 50 people outside.
A suspect or suspects have not been located.
Although police have not released names of the injured people, their ages and genders now are known. Police say four male victims are aged 20, 27, 29 and 34 while four female victims are aged 19, 24, 35 and 35.
They all are expected to live, the release states. Some of the injured have been treated and released while others remain hospitalized.
Around the time of the call police were responding to what they were told was a noise complaint before learning of the shooting. A witness said the gathering was supposed to be a birthday party at the store before it turned tragic.
Manager Fred Yaya said he allowed an employee to throw the party at the store, which had been vacant for months.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact the Grand Rapids Police Department at 616-456-3400 or Silent Observer at 616-774-2345.
(© 2016 WZZM)