GRANDVILLE, MICH. - A deadly fire at a Grandville home last month, was likely caused by a cigarette according to fire investigators. The May 28, 2017 fire on 30th Street, killed 27-year-old Casey Dykhouse.
Investigators say it started on an enclosed porch, where Dykehouse would often sit and smoke cigarettes. They believe a discarded cigarette, thrown into a plastic coffee container or cardboard box, started the fire.
There were working smoke detectors in the home, but the heavy smoke and flames cut off one of the two escape paths. Crews say Dykhouse died from smoke inhalation.
© 2017 WZZM-TV