GVSU apt. fire caused by April Fool's prank

ALLENDALE, Mich. (WZZM) -- An apartment fire at Grand Valley State University was caused by an April Fool's Day prank gone wrong.

The fire began around 9:15 a.m. Wednesday at 4932 West Campus Drive.

Capt. Dave Pelton with the Allendale Fire Department says someone in an apartment where four women live lit a spinning firework inside. It's said to have landed in a laundry hamper, sparking the fire. Several units in the complex were damaged by smoke.

Everyone was able to evacuate safely.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment