GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WZZM) -- More than 60 restaurants in West Michigan will be part of Restaurant Week 2015. It's a chance for people to get a taste of what Grand Rapids has to offer, while also getting some pretty significant discounts.
Doug Small, President of Experience Grand Rapids, joined the WZZM 13 News at 5 to preview it, along with Chef Chris Perkey from Osteria Rossa.
Restaurant Week actually includes 12 days of dining out, from August 12 through August 23. You can get a preview of what's on the menu at RestaurantWeekGR.com.
Forty-three of the 67 participating restaurants will offer mouthwatering, three-course, locally-inspired menus for $28 per person. An additional 20 restaurants will offer a three-course menu for two people priced at $28.
In the video above, Chef Perkey shows us his recipe for rigatoni with chicken, mushrooms and grilled peaches:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons diced yellow onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup cooked chicken
1 each Michigan peach cut in wedges and grilled
½ cup assorted mushrooms sliced
¼ cup white wine
1 tablespoon Michigan maple syrup
1 cup chicken stock
Procedure: Bring one gallon of water with ¼ cup of kosher salt to a boil.
1. Over medium heat, warm a sauce pan large enough to hold all of the ingredients and add the oil.
2. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook for approximately three minutes until the vegetables are translucent.
3. Add the chicken, peaches and mushrooms, and cook three minutes until the mushrooms just soften.
4. Add the wine the syrup and the chicken stock and reduce by half.
5. Drop the rigatoni in the boiling water and cook for approximating 5-7 minutes. (Cooking times very based on brand and style of pasta). Drain the pasta and let it sit for one minute to dry.
6. Add the pasta to the sauce and gently stir in.
7. Divide the pasta equally into four warm bowls and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.