Officials: Girl dies after being electrocuted by power line

DETROIT (AP) - Officials say a 12-year-old girl has died after being electrocuted by a low-hanging power line while playing outside on Detroit's west side.

Police say the girl was with a friend in a yard Wednesday when she was shocked.

Detroit-based utility DTE Energy Co. says the line belonged to the city's public lighting department. Both say an out-of-service wire fell and crossed over a live wire, which "energized" the out-of-service line.

Officials say they "are committed to taking the necessary steps to ensure this doesn't happen again."

Charles Hicks, who lives nearby, tells WJBK-TV the area was cordoned off for about a month because of the downed wire.

A city spokesman says Thursday Detroit's public lighting department's CEO seeks to determine whether the department received reports of the downed wire.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment