Employees extinguish fire at Marne business

Fire put out quickly at DeWitt Barrels

MARNE, MICH. - An early morning fire brought six departments to a barrel reconditioning facility in Marne early Friday -- but by the time they arrived, employees had put out the flames with a fire extinguisher.

The first call of an explosion came into dispatchers around 6:30 a.m. Friday, March 17, at Dewitt Barrels on Comstock Street near 16th Avenue.

Peter Dewitt, the company president, says an inexperienced employee was grinding too close to a barrel, which caught fire.

A lieutenant with the Wright-Tallmadge Fire Department says when crews arrived on the scene, there was smoke in the building.

Two employees were checked out on the scene as a precaution, but no one was taken to the hospital.

"We just had them checked out for smoke. Everybody's fine," Dewitt said. "There were no injuries. Nobody's hurt. Everybody's accounted for. There's no real damage to the building."

Employees were cleared to return to the building and according to Dewitt, production has resumed.

►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.

Matt Gard is the Senior Producer of the 13 Morning News. If you have a story idea, you can contact him on Twitter, @mgard_wzzm13 or by e-mail, MattGard@wzzm13.com.

© 2017 WZZM-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment