LOWELL, MICH. - The Rockford High School Varsity Football team is on the field after an illness forced them to forfeit their opener last week. The Rams are taking on Lowell, the Red Arrows beat Warren de la Salle last Friday.
The illness affected more than two dozen people connected to the football program who all reported serious stomach problems. The health department says it's because of a parasite, the team picked up on a camping trip up north.
The symptoms may have subsided, but many of the varsity football players may still be weak less than two weeks after getting sick. Mark hall from the Kent County Health Department says, "Like any other illness that has a pretty significant duration there is a recovery period. You would expect a full recovery but when are they going to be able to perform as if this didn't happen is really impossible to answer its not going to be a week or two though."
The health department believes the players, plus a few coaches and players came into contact with the intestinal parasite during a varsity camping trip the weekend of August 12th.
(© 2016 WZZM)