MSU to Schuette: We didn't know about Nassar until 2016

LANSING -- A former federal prosecutor hired to assist MSU by investigating the facts of Larry Nassar's conduct has told Attorney General Bill Schuette in a letter that no MSU officials were aware of Nassar's conduct before 2016 newspaper reports.

The letter also states that "MSU has been and remains ready, willing and able to cooperate with any inquiry by the United States Attorney's Office, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Michigan State Police and your office."

Schuette's office is reviewing Fitzgerald's letter and reviewing next steps, Attorney General spokeswoman Andrea Bitely said Friday.

Patrick Fitzgerald, now with Chicago law firm Skadden, Aarps, Late, Meagher & Flom LLP, responded to Schuette's request that MSU provide findings of its internal investigation to his office for review. Schuette made the request earlier this week. Fitzgerald's letter is dated Wednesday.

Schuette also received a letter from MSU President Lou Anna Simon saying that she had asked Fitzgerald to respond on the university's behalf. The letters were released to media by Schuette's office on Friday.

Fitzgerald said in his letter that his work will not lead to a report, but that "evidence will show that no MSU official believed that Nassar committed sexual abuse prior to newspaper reports in late summer 2016." The Indianapolis Star first reported allegations against Nassar that September; later that month, MSU fired him.

Fitzgerald also offered to provide Schuette or his staff with a briefing on the internal review "pursuant to a procedure which does not waive any applicable privileges in civil litigation." 

Read the full letter here:

 

 

Simon and Fitzgerald to Schuette by Justin Hinkley on Scribd

© 2018 WZZM-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment