Grand Rapids (WZZM) -
July 2012 was a record-breaking month in many respects as temperatures were well-above average. Rainfall was sparse during the first few weeks but beneficial rains arrived later in the month. Sunshine was also well-above average.
Temperatures in July averaged 79.2°F, 6.7°F above average and 2.2°F warmer than last year (77.0°F), making it the second warmest July on record after 1921 (79.8°F) and the second warmest month on record. Twenty-nine days were warmer than usual, one was cooler and one was considered average. The highest temperature occurred on July 6 with 104°F while the lowest temperature occurred on four occasions with 60°F; July 11, 12, 21, and 29.
Temperature records (previous record/year):
- July 3: record high minimum 76°F; (tied with 1901, 1911, and 1974).
- July 4: record high minimum 78°; (77°F in 1913, 1921, and 1999).
- July 5: record high 101°F; (100°F in 1921).
- July 6: record high 104°F; (100°F in 1988).
- July 7: record high 99°F; (98°F in 1936 and 1988).
- July 16: record high 97°F; (tied with 1894).
- July 17: record high 99°F; (97°F in 1901); record high minimum (tied with 1931).
- The average daily high was 91.06°F, making it the warmest on record by breaking the record set in July 1921 (90.97°F).
- The average daily low was 67.39°, making it the second warmest on record after July 1921 (69.48°F).
- The daily low temperature never fell below 60°F during the entire month; this has never occurred since daily records began in 1892.
- July 5 high of 101°F was the hottest since July 6, 1988 (100°F) - 24 years ago; prior to that, the last time it reached 100°F was on August 6, 1964 - also 24 years.
- July 6 high of 104°F was the third warmest on record after 108°F on July 13, 1936 and 106°F on July 12, 1936.
- July 6 high of 104°F was the warmest since June 20, 1953 (102°F).
- The two daily highs on July 5 and 6 were the first back-to-back highs over 100°F since August 5 and 6, 1947.
- The first seven months of 2012 - January through July, are the warmest on record with an average of 53.4°F, ahead of 1921 (52.8°F).
Precipitation was below average last month with 2.56", 1.22" less than usual and 4.31" less than last year (6.87"). There were seven days with measurable precipitation, which is two days less than usual (9). Thunderstorms were reported on six days: July 3, 19, 23, 26, 27, and 31.
There was 79.8% of the possible sunshine last month, 6.3% more than usual but 1.3% less than last year (81.4%). There were eleven clear days - three more than average (8), nineteen partly cloudy days - seven more than average (12), and one cloudy day - ten fewer than average (11).
Other records (previous record/year):
- July 5: record peak wind gust from the NE at 37 mph (S at 35 mph in 1993).
- July 17: record peak wind gust from the N at 41 mph (N at 39 mph in 1999).
- July 31: record peak wind gust from the N at 45 mph (SW at 29 mph in 1968).