ArtWalk 2012 volunteers celebrate. Courtesy: ArtWalk Organizers
Grand Haven (WZZM) - On Wednesday, Grand Haven will kick off ArtWalk 2012.
Organizers sent us a picture of volunteers at one of their recent events.
Nearly 200 artists have signed up to be a part of ArtWalk.
Here is a list of the events of ArtWalk 2012.
Wednesday, 9/19 Opening Day!
- Voting Begins at noon for both adult and youth art (Youth Competition hosted by Loutit Library).
- ArtWalk Kickoff, noon - 2 pm: Celebrate the start of ArtWalk 2012 with Picnic and Painting in the Park. Join us for a fantastic feast of free food. And add your artistic touch to a collaborative art piece started by Mayor McCaleb, City Council and other city representatives!
- Opening Night Gala, 7 - 11 pm: A private opening celebration at ArtWalk headquarters (20 N. 5th St., the Fire Barn Gallery) for artists, venues and sponsors. Live music. Fabulous food. Delectable drinks. By invite only.
- Family Art Day, noon - 3 pm: Join us at the Stanco building (on Fulton, between 1st and 2nd Streets) for a fun family day of canvas painting, live entertainment and tons of family fun. Throughout this event, 2 teams of artists will be painting murals on the Stanco building in preparation for the following ArtWalk event, Mural Mania! ~Family Art Day is sponsored by JSJ Corporation, with supplemental funding by the Grand Haven Area Community Foundation and Youth Advisory Council and in-kind donations by Rendezvous Family Dining
**Between 3 and 5 pm, Plein Air artists who will be painting out in public throughout this day, will bring their artworks to the Stanco property for viewing. Stop by to check out their creative accomplishments!
- Mural Mania, 5 - 7 pm: Two teams of artists. Two walls. Come watch these artists race to finish their murals on separate sides of the Stanco building (Fulton between 1st and 2nd). The public and a jury will select the winners. Free food. Live music. Pure mania!
- Centertown Block Party, 5 - 8 pm: Come on down to Centertown (Frame and Mat Shop parking lot, 728 Washington Ave.). Pig out on pig roast compliments of Anthony's Kicked up Catering. Chill out with a bowl of JW's famous white chili while listening to live music by Barefoot Sunday. Area artists will also be there demonstrating their various techniques.
Friday and Saturday, 9/28 and 9/29
- Indie Rock Music Festival, 6 pm - midnight: Two days. Ten bands. Tons of excitement. The first block of Washington Ave. will be packed with people clamoring to hear these amazing indie groups. Free to all ages. Beer and wine tent. ID required.
- Arf Walk Voting, noon - 5 pm: Big Dogs. Little dogs. All sizes of Arf Walk decorated dogs will be lined along Washington Ave. for an all day voting event. Bring your painted pooch if you wish to participate. Artists will also be on site selling their works. There will be live music, free food demos and samples, plus a special surprise between the hours of 1 and 2 pm. Awards ceremony at 5 pm.
- Noon: Voting ends for both adult and youth competitions.
- Announcement of ArtWalk 2012 Winners, 5 - 6 pm: Come to the Grand Haven Community Center (corner of Columbus and 5th) to find out who will take home the first and second place prizes in all four categories. Adult and youth competition winners will be announced this evening.
- Closing Reception, 7 - 11 pm: The Tri Cities Historical Museum (200 Washington Ave.) will host a private reception for artists, venues, sponsors and volunteers. By invitation only.