GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Investigators are looking into the possibility of arson at a house damaged by fire overnight. It happened around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 700 block of Sixth Street NW.
Investigators say a resident awoke to the sound of breaking glass and was then alerted to the fire. When firefighters arrived on the scene they found flames in the front of the home and on the front porch.
The house sustained significant damage, totalling more than $50,000.
11 people in the house were able to safely evacuate.
The Grand Rapids Fire Department stresses the importance of having working smoke alarms throughout the home. "Nighttime fires are a common occurrence and occupants are most at risk of being overcome by smoke and fire when they are sleeping at night, said Fire Marshall Joe Durham in a news release. "It is recommended to test all smoke alarms a minimum of once a month, change alarm batteries every year (unless they are a 10 year battery unit), and replace all smoke alarms every 10 years."