MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) -- Some of the 27 people arrested last week in a massive marijuana sting say they want to talk and clear their names, but for now they're leaving that decision up to their lawyers.
Monday, the U.S. Attorney's Office decided to temporarily dismiss charges against the suspects because the operation was so vast, the prosecution would not be able to make its case within the required 30 days.
Prosecutors have 50 reports and 1,000 electronic communications to review. The U.S. Attorney's office could file the charges again at a later date.
Since charges were dropped, some of the 27 suspects have already hired representation. Two others said Tuesday they were meeting with lawyers.
A Rothbury store police searched last week during Operation High Mileage has reopened but employees said they can't talk about the search.
Meanwhile the lights are off at another hydroponics store. In-Do-Grow in Muskegon is still closed, and there was a letter from the City of Muskegon taped to the door saying the city is revoking Molly and Shawn Taylor's business certification. The Taylors have 10 days to appeal the decision. The city document cites reports to police about the direct sale of marijuana to customers as one of the reasons for the action.
A lawyer representing a Grand Haven man charged in the bust says investigators cast a large net hoping for big fish in the drug trade but missed and only caught people abiding by Michigan's medical marijuana laws.
All 27 suspects had been charged with conspiracy to manufacture and deliver marijuana. Possible penalties for that charge depend on the amount of drugs involved in the case.