BELDING, Mich. (WZZM) -- Firearm deer season in Michigan runs from November 15-30. If you're planning a hunting trip, the DNR wants to make you aware of some changes that are being implemented for 2013.
Deer hunters in 12 counties north of Newaygo and Mecosta need to keep in mind that they will have a new antler points restriction this year. The new rule is being enforced in: Antrim, Charlevoix, Emmet, Kalkaska, Grand Traverse, Benzie, Manistee, Wexford, Missaukee, Osceola, Lake and Mason.
All hunters must only target bucks with at least three or more antler points on one side. DNR officials say the reason for the new rule is to create a more evenly-aged buck structure.
"This was brought forward the DNR and the Natural Resources Commission from a group of hunters," said John Niewoonder, who is the field operations manager for the Belding DNR post. "This is the first year that it's being implemented over a 12 county area, so hunters need to be aware of that because the rules have changed as far as which deer are legal targets."
DNR says the prospect for a good deer harvest in southern Michigan is very high. This summer was much cooler and wetter than last year, so a disease outbreak isn't expected.