Spanish Hot Chocolate
4 cups whole milk
4 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 vanilla bean, scraped (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Ancho chile powder
Pinch of salt
1. Whisk cornstarch into ½ cup of milk and put to the side.
2. Place a medium saucepan over low heat; pour the remaining milk, sugar, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean.
3. Heat until a very gentle simmer.
4. Place the chocolate in a metal bowl and pour 1 cup of the scalding milk on top of the chocolate.
5. Whisk until chocolate is melted.
6. Remove the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean and discard from the remaining milk.
7. Pour the melted chocolate and the milk with the cornstarch into the remaining milk.
8. Whisk until completely incorporated and mixture is hot.
9. Add a pinch of salt and ancho chile powder.
10. Divide between mugs and top with toasted marshmallows.
Makes 4 cups of hot chocolate
FEBRUARY COOKING CLASS WITH DONNA SAWYER
Sign up for classes by going to Donna's blog; www.donnasawyerwow.com , go to her contact page and email her your name, phone number and the class/classes you would like to sign up for. She will email you a confirmation.
Spanish Tapas Night, Thursday, FEBRUARY 27, 7-9:30pm, $55
Make your party a hit with these tiny, flavor-packed bites that are designed to be shared, and ideal for your winter entertaining. Join us for delicious fun as Donna demonstrates how easy it is to prepare an appetizing assortment of flavorful, conversation-provoking bites. You'll be ready to delight guests at your party or any great gathering of family and friends throughout the year. Hands on cooking class
Sangria, Roasted Pear and Gorgonzola Salad with Red Chili Dressing, Bacon covered Dates, Warm Goat Cheese in Tomato Sauce, Garlic Seared Shrimp with Sherry, Caramelized Bananas with Rum Sauce and Ice Cream and Spanish Hot Chocolate
Celebrating Life & Food