GRAND RAPIDS (BLAIR MOREAU, MERCY HEALTH) -- You spend countless hours in the gym sweating but aren't getting the results you want. Before throwing in the towel try HIIT, High Intensity Interval Workouts. HIIT workouts are an enhanced form of interval training with sessions lasting less than 30 minutes. These short and intense workouts improve conditioning and fat burning. Here is an excellent High Intensity Interval Workout!
Aerobically, there are two ways to do a powerful and short cardio routine – 5 minutes total:
- Biking (either outdoor or spin cycle) – 20 seconds of sprinting followed by 10 seconds of easy pedaling, repeat 10 times.
- Jumping rope for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds for 10 rounds.
Now, for muscle strengthening and great fat burning, do these exercises for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds for 8 total rounds (go as fast as you can but keep good form):
- Body Squats – Feet shoulder-width apart, back straight, and arms straight out in front of you. Bend your knees and allow your body to sink toward the ground as if you were sitting in a chair. Once the thighs become parallel with the floor, use your muscles to push yourself back up to the standing position.
- Push Ups – Get in a push-up position, toes and hands on the floor, keeping your back straight. Place hands slightly wider than shoulder- width apart and keep the abs tight. Bend the elbows and lower self to the floor until the elbows are at 90 degrees. Exhale and return to the starting position.
- Dumbbell Deadlifts – Bend forward at the waist, pointing the arms straight down toward the floor. Maintain a good posture with your back and have a slight bend in the knees. Hold the dumbbells at arm's length with palms facing in. Straighten your back to a standing position making sure not to lock your knees. Keep the dumbbells hanging gently at arm's length. Lower yourself back to the starting position.
- Triangle Push Ups –Get in a push-up position. This time, take your hands by forming a triangle with your pointing fingers toughing and thumbs touching.
- Lying Leg Raise – Lay on the floor placing your hands either under your gluts or by your side (palms facing down). Keep your legs as straight as possible, raising them perpendicular to the floor. Then, lower your legs to the start position and repeat.
Challenge yourself, step outside the comfort of your traditional workout, and do a HIIT workout. You may never go back to your old workout way again.