GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP/WZZM) -- Organizers of a second annual festival of laughter in Grand Rapids are hoping to start this year's event in record fashion.
Organizers want to set a new Guinness World Record for the largest gathering of people wearing animal noses. Peopleare asked to wear fake chicken beaks at 6 p.m. on March 8. People can start lining up starting at 5 p.m. at Rosa Parks Circle
Anyone wishing to help try to set the record at downtown's Rosa Parks Circle will be provided with an official LaughFest chicken beak. Anyone bringing their own rubber chicken will be entered into a prize drawing for LaughFest tickets and merchandise.
Following the community kickoff, several area restaurants and bars will be holding special LaughFest chicken dinner specials, free opening night parties and comedy preview shows.
Other opening events include LaughFest chicken dinners at 11 area restaurants. A portion of the money from every dinner sold will be donated to Gilda's Club.
Participating restaurants include:
• Bar Divani, 15 Ionia St. SW
• Bobarino's, 20 Monroe Ave. NW, inside the Bob
• Chapbook Café, 40 Fountain St. NW, inside Schuler Books
• Cottage Bar, 18 LaGrave SE
• Bistro Lounge, 11 Monroe Ave. NW, inside Courtyard by Marriott
• Fifth Third Bank Vault Restaurant & Bar, 130 W Fulton, inside Van Andel Arena
• Grand Central Market, 57 Monroe Center
• Heritage Restaurant at GRCC, 151 Fountain Street NE
• Rockwell - Republic, 45. S. Divison
• University Club of Grand Rapids, 111 Lyon St. NW
• Z's Bar and Restaurant, 168 Louis Campau Promenade
More information about the chicken dinners can be found at http://downtowngr.org/laughfestchickendinners/
Beginning at 8 p.m., four area restaurants will hold "Opening Night Parties," which are open to the public. Opening Night Parties will be held at:
• One Trick Pony Grill and Taproom, 136 E. Fulton St.
• Pub 43, 43 Division Ave.
• Sundance Grill, 40 Pearl Street
• TGI Friday's, 50 Monroe Ave.
A suggested $5 donation to Gilda's Club will be collected at the door.
Last year, the event's kickoff broke a Guinness World Record for the number of people tossing rubber chickens at one time.
LaughFest runs March 8-18. It's sponsored by the nonprofit Gilda's Club Grand Rapids and honors the memory of comedian Gilda Radner.