It's that time of year, whether you travel to your Grandma's house, your cousin's house, or your favorite family destination; it's time in the car. This is a fun time for games, reading and of course a good DVD. What's a good DVD for the whole family? How do you please the younger kids, teenagers, boys/girls, and even mom and dad? See my list below...
Families with kids ages 5 to 11...
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted: PG
• Alex, Marty, Gloria and Melman have been traveling far too long; they're ready to get back to their home town...New York! After leaving Africa they end up in Monte Carlo, where they find their gambling penguin buddies. So now they're all ready to head back to the Big Apple, however things don't go as planned. Capitaine Chantel DuBois, the evil French animal control officer, finds the animals, and desperately wants to capture Alex; hoping to add a lion's head to her wall of captured animals. To escape the officer and get back home, they end up joining a traveling circus. Now Alex and the gang not only have to run from the evil officer, they also have to take part in helping a troubled traveling circus improve their show; with the ultimate goal of getting back to their beloved cages in the Central Park Zoo. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted is a wonderful, animated film for kids!
• Wild and strong willed teen-aged Princess Merida clashes constantly with her mother the Queen as her mother struggles to prepare Merida for marriage and ultimately to be the next Queen. After a big clash, Merida flees to the forest where she meets a mysterious witch. She convinces the witch to cast a spell which turns her mother into a bear. Now, she has 48 hours to figure out how to turn her back and learn some important lessons along the way.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series:PG
• This is about a middle school boy, Greg Hefley, and all the challenges and adventures he faces. Fun movies based on illustrated books.
The Muppets: PG
• Walter, the biggest Muppet fan ever, and his friend's Gary (Jason Segel) and Mary (Amy Adams) from Smalltown, USA; travel to Los Angeles for a vacation, with great hopes to see the Muppet Theater. However, their dreams are shattered when they arrive; they discover that an evil oil man, Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) plans to drill for the oil that was found beneath the Muppet Theater. When Kermit founds out about this awful ploy, he panics and recruits Walter, Gary and Mary to help gather the Muppet gang for a telethon; hoping to raise the $10 million needed to save the theater. THE MUPPET'S is a hilarious entertaining movie for the whole family!
• Bedtime Stories is a family comedy about a hotel handy man (Skeeter) whose life changes when the outrages bedtime stories he tells his niece and nephew start to come true. His niece and nephew unknowingly have the power to make the stories become real.
For Families with kids ages 12 and up...
• This is story about Bethany (AnnaSophia Robb) a 13 year old girl who was born to surf. She was an amazing surfer, and enjoyed her wonderful life in Hawaii. Bethany was constantly participating in national surf competitions with her best friend; that was her greatest passion in life, until the day everything changed. In 2003 Bethany lost her arm by a shark attack while surfing. Her dreams were shattered, but with the help of family and friends, and her strong faith, Bethany persevered , and was determined to be back in the water again. This is a heartwarming, true story about a courageous girl who is an inspiration to all, as she handles life's difficulties with faith and determination! A great movie for the whole family!
The Amazing Spider-man:PG13
• This is the story about Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), a troubled teenager who was abandoned by his parents, and raised by his Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) and Aunt May (Sally Field). When Peter finds his father's mysterious briefcase, he discovers the secrets of his father's bizarre past and he begins to understand his parents' disappearance. Information in the briefcase leads him to the lab of Dr. Connor's, his father's former partner, which leads him to one life-changing bite...a spider bite. The transformation begins as Peter Parker turns into Spider-Man! The Amazing Spider-Man is a suspenseful action/adventure movie, one that pre-teens and up will enjoy.
• Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) Captain America (Chris Evans) The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and Thor (Chris Hemsworth) all on the big screen...it's a site to see! In this wonderful action packed film, Nick Fury (Samuel L Jackson),the director of S.H.I.E.L.D,(an international agency), gathers the amazing super-heroes together to form The Avengers. These men are desperately needed to save the Earth from Thor's evil half brother, Loki (Tom Hiddleston) who is out to destroy the world. The Avengers is an exciting, fun movie with a lot of action and adventure geared towards kids ages 12 and up.
The Blind Side:PG13
• The Blind Side is an inspirational, heartwarming true story based on the life of Michael Oher. Michael was a homeless African American boy from a broken home, who was picked up off the streets by Leigh Anne Tuohy(Sandra Bulock) and her family, and then taken to their home. The Tuohy's helped Michael pursue his potential, he is now a lineman in the NFL, playing for the Baltimore Ravens.
The Harry Potter Series:PG13
• Harry Potter is a series of seven fantasy movies based on the novels by J.K. Rowling. The series chronicle the adventures of a wizard, Harry Potter and his friends, all of whom are students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
One for the Whole Family...
Toy Story 3: PG
• In this final movie of the Toy Story series, we see Andy preparing to depart for college as well. So what do teenagers do with their favorite childhood toys? Some may put them in a box for storage, while others may donate them, and that's what Andy did. His beloved toys, that were supposed to go in the attic for storage, ended up in the "donate" pile, that went to a local daycare; including Woody (Tom Hanks) and Buzz (Tim Allen). Andy's gang of toys initially loved their new home, but as they gradually learned more about the daycare, they ended up unhappy with their new environment, so they planned an escape to find their friend and owner Andy.
Courtesy: Jackie Solberg, www.boxofficemom.com