SHARECOMMENTMORE

(WZZM) - Have you ever notice how much plastic we use every day? Ever wonder if it's safe?

Harvard University released a study proving that many of the chemicals in plastic can seep into your food through storage or heating.

Here are some recommendations from the USDA:

Not all plastics are microwave safe be sure to read the label.
Plastic wrap should never directly touch food when heated.
Margarine tubs, take-out and whipped topping containers are all one-time use containers and should not be used in the microwave they melt, allowing harmful chemicals to get into your food.

If you'd like more information on what's considered microwave safe, Good Housekeepinghas list of safe products based on their investigation.