GRANT, Mich. (WZZM)- Community members in Grant are pitching in to help an elderly couple who lost their livelihood in a fire.
It happened November 9, when Deb Brock was still in the hospital. Her husband Charlie was in the barn.
"Our dog started acting really funny, started jumping on him, pulling on his shirt, and Charlie couldn't find out what was the matter," says Deb.
When Charlie finally stepped outside, he found the other side of the barn completely engulfed in flames.
"The whole thing burned in 15 minutes; it was gone," says Charlie.
A couple horses, 60 rabbits and 1,700 hundred bales of hay all perished in the fire. With it went the couple's entire livelihood; they didn't have insurance.
Soon after the fire, many of the town's shops and churches started collecting donations and dropping off supplies.
"We thought it was really going to be tough to find hay to purchase, and then there'd be trucks full of hay coming [to our home], and I'm like 'Oh my goodness!'" Says Deb.
Saturday the community organized a barn raising, using donated materials to rebuild the historic barn.
"We're just a small town community, and when everybody heard [about the fire], we couldn't believe it," says Teresa Alyea, who alerted WZZM 13 to the event through Facebook. "It's healing. Today is a step forward."
"We're all here to help. That's what we all do, just to get it up and get this place running again," added volunteer Penny Briggs.
Even with nothing, the Brocks were still fostering abandoned horses to the best of their ability.
"[They're] very nice people. They'd do anything for anybody, you know? They're very loving and caring," says Briggs.
The barn should be finished in the next few weeks, and the Brocks say they're very thankful for the hard work of their family and friends.
The couple still needs more hay, feed, tack, saddles and bridles. They're also accepting financial donations to get their horse boarding business running again. Donations can be dropped off at Love INC or Farm and Home in Newaygo.