HOLTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) -- An Amish-owned general store near Fremont is a total loss after catching fire just before noon Monday.
The Whispering Pines Country Store on Skeels Road had no electricity, but the owner told WZZM 13 she believed the fire started in the attic where there was wiring and a battery that operated the cash register.
Six employees and several customers were inside when the fire started and they all got out safely.
12 area fire departments responded to the fire, shuttling water in tankers from one mile away. The steel siding also made spraying the flames difficult.
The Whispering Pines Country Store had been opened six years, drawing visitors and a loyal customer base from miles away; it was known for its bakery and bulk goods.
The owners say they do not have standard insurance but are part of an coalition of 30 Amish churches whose congregations help each other out in times of need. At this time there's no estimate on when the group will gather to rebuild the store.