Small kitchen appliances can offer real time savings in the kitchen and they can help you prepare easy and deliciously healthy meals for your family. With Christmas just around the corner considering adding one or more of these great appliances to your shopping list:
-Crock Pot Hook Up - This connectable entertaining center can help you mix and match units for any occasion. The 3.5 qt. crock holds small roasts, appetizers, dips, large finger foods and more. The 1 qt. crocks hold appetizers, dips and small finger foods.
- KitchenAide Chef's Chopper - 2 speed, one-touch operation to chop or puree. Make a delicious salsa or a smooth hummus for holiday appetizers.
- KitchenAide Stand Mixer - Makes a great gift for the cook in your family! The 4.5 qt. stainless steel bowl holds enough capacity to mix dough for 6 dozen cookies, 3 loaves of bread or 6 lbs. of mashed potatoes in a single batch. Several attachments are available such as a food grinder, slicer and shredder.
- George Foreman Grill - Use to cook quick and healthy meals this holiday season - from grilled sandwiches, to seafood and meats (the fat drips off!)
Can also be used to grill fruit for a quick dessert or to warm up breads.
Slow Cooker Turkey Breast with Sweet Potatoes
Looking for a non-traditional way to prepare a turkey dinner?
Turkey breast and sweet potatoes mingle well in this slow cooker recipe that serves 8 people. Simply add a side of green beans with slivered almonds and your favorite pumpkin pie!
4- to 5-pound bone-in turkey breast, thawed if frozen
2 to 3 dark-orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup frozen pearl onions (from 1-pound bag), thawed
1/2 cup Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-ounce carton)
1/4 cup Meijer orange marmalade
2 Tbsps. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram leaves
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsps. Meijer cornstarch
2 Tbsps. water
1. Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place turkey in cooker. Arrange sweet potatoes and onions around turkey. Mix remaining ingredients except cornstarch and water in small bowl; pour over turkey and vegetables.
2. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.
3. Remove turkey and vegetables from cooker; cover to keep warm. If desired, skim fat from juices in cooker. Pour juices into 4-cup microwavable measuring cup. Mix cornstarch and water in small bowl until smooth; stir into juices in cup. Microwave uncovered on High 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute, until mixture thickens. Serve with turkey and vegetables.
Nutrition Information: (1 Serving) Calories 360; Total Fat 12g; Cholesterol 115mg; Sodium 320mg; Total Carbohydrate 20g; Dietary Fiber 2g; Protein 44g
Recipe Source: General Mills
Courtesy: Shari Steinbach, MS RD, Meijer Dietitian and Healthy Living Manager