SHARECOMMENTMORE

KENTWOOD, Mich. (WZZM) -- Carolyn Foreman's three kids woke her up as they usually do on Christmas morning, only this time it wasn't to open presents. "I lost everything... I would have never imagined it would be me going through something like this."

The family made it safely out of their burning house on Innwood and Staufer Ave., but their holiday plans and home were ruined. "It was very devastating to me and my children."

"During my interview process with (the Foremans), I found out they had no renters insurance," said Deputy Chief of the Kentwood Fire Department Gregory Ginebaugh. "They lost all their Christmas presents." That is where Ginebaugh's planning began.

The Kentwood Fire Department teamed with other area departments to gather leftover Toys for Tots toys from their annual campaigns and deliver them on Friday morning to the home where the Foremans are staying. "It's nice to see their reactions; this is a super family."

"This is very emotional," said Carolyn. "This is going to be a memory that lasts a lifetime."

The cause of the fire is still unknown but classified as accidental.

Winter is a busy time of year for firefighters. More fires are being started by space heaters, candles, and dirty chimneys. You can help them by clearing snow away from fire hydrants, and also the street numbers on your house and sidewalk.