1 5 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

GRAND HAVEN, Mich. (WZZM) – Firefighters contained a stubborn house fire in Grand Haven Friday morning. The city's public safety director says the flames were caused by an explosive called black powder, which a resident was using to make homemade fireworks.

The fire was reported shortly after 11 a.m. at a home on Columbus Street west of North Beacon Boulevard, near the downtown business district.

The first crews on the scene reported heavy smoke coming from the attic on the south side of the house.

A family had purchased the two-story home recently and was working on renovations, according to our partner The Grand Haven Tribune. The homeowners said they bought the house to flip it.

Residents got out, but the individual making fireworks suffered burns to his arm.

Grand Haven called in all available firefighters to help with the blaze and additional units from Grand Haven Township were called to assist.

Roads around the scene were blocked to accommodate fire equipment. By 11:50 a.m., the fire was contained.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/2014/07/04/house-fire/12214489/