169 12 LINKEDIN 1 COMMENTMORE

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- A home was destroyed on the city's northeast side following a gas explosion Tuesday afternoon.

Flames and a loud blast were reported around 1:15 p.m. at a home in the 900 block of North Park Court, near North Park Street and Cheney Avenue NE. North Park Montessori Academy is nearby.

Neighbors say they smelled natural gas in the moments before the explosion. Billy Fuller, who lives nearby, had recently put his young son down for a nap.

"I live a block away on Waterford... and the whole house shook and I thought he had fallen out of the crib," Fuller said. "We looked outside and there was a whole bunch of smoke, so we came running over here. It was scary."

Grand Rapids Fire Department Battlon Chief, Kevin Sehlmeyer says neighbors who smelled natural gas could have helped prevent the explosion. "This is a good time to let the public out there know if they do smell smoke, call the gas company immediately. Because there were reports of people smelling gas off an on, early this afternoon and early this morning."

The explosion and fire were intense enough to cause damage to the siding of the homes next door. No one was inside the home at the time and no one was hurt.

Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions
169 12 LINKEDIN 1 COMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/grand-rapids-north/2014/05/27/fighting-fire-grand-rapids/9630043/