GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — LaughFest is bringing back another festival favorite: A World Record Attempt.
This year’s festival will attempt the largest gathering of people wearing mismatched socks.
The record attempt will happen on Saturday, March 7. Festivities will start at 1:30 p.m. at Studio Park with the actual attempt to begin at 3 p.m. and last five minutes. Participation is free and those interested should arrive by 2:45 p.m. Organizers hope to gather at least 1,000 people.
Rules for the attempt are as followed:
- Socks must come from two different pairs and must be significantly different – any person wearing socks deemed too similar must be disqualified from the attempt.
- A single pair of socks cannot be individually altered to make them different (i.e., no drawing, sewing or any other additions/or subtractions to or from a sock for differentiation will be permitted).
- Socks need to be physically seen easily (not obscured by clothing) so individuals must wear them outside their clothing or wear shorts, skirt, etc.
“While we bring a lot of top notch comedians to Grand Rapids, LaughFest isn’t just a comedy festival, it’s a festival of laughter that works hard to celebrate laughter in many forms. When the team was planning that first festival back in 2010, they really wanted a fun and whimsical event that was accessible to the broader community to engage in smiles and laughter together,” stated Wendy Wigger, President of Gilda’s LaughFest and Gilda’s Club Grand Rapids.
“At the time, not many world record attempts had been made in West Michigan and we were thrilled when the community helped kick our first festival off with a bang by throwing 925 rubber chickens. This year, we’re excited to celebrate our tenth birthday with another world record attempt!”
For more information on the world record attempt, including suggestions on how to get to the event and parking, please visit laughfestgr.org/worldrecord.
During the 10-day festival, LaughFest 2020 will include more than 150 free and ticketed shows. Over 100 artists will be featured at more than 40 venues in Grand Rapids, Holland, Lowell and Wayland’s Gun Lake Casino, including some big names like Jeff Foxworthy, Jim Gaffigan, Fortune Feimster, Ralph Harris, Russell Peters, JP Sears, and Miranda Sings.
LaughFest was created by Gilda's Club 10 years ago. Gilda's Club Grand Rapids is a free emotional health support community of children, adults, families and friends on any kind of cancer journey or those grieving a death due to any cause.
Tickets and additional details can be found at laughfestgr.org.
More LaughFest News on 13 ON YOUR SIDE:
- LaughFest Central opens Monday for 2020 festival
- LaughFest Game Night coming to Grand Rapids Musuem
- Fortune Feimster added to 10th annual LaughFest lineup
- Jeff Foxworthy to headline Laughfest's 10th Anniversary
- LaughFest launches podcast to celebrate 10 years
- Maria Bamford, Adam Cayton-Holland, Ralph Harris: LaughFest announces 2020 lineup
- Jim Gaffigan to headline 10th year of Gilda's LaughFest
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.