MUSKEGON, Mich. — Jelly? Butter? Are you bored of the everyday toast toppings? Well, you're in luck!
We stopped by the Muskegon Farmers Market to meet registered dietitian Grace Derocha, who came up with a new twist on traditional toast.
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms of choice, may choose a variety
- 1-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups kale leaves, torn into pieces
- ¼ – ½ tsp. of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1-3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Whole grain bread, sliced and toasted
- Cook mushrooms and garlic in olive oil, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Add torn kale leaves and if desired, red pepper flakes and cook, tossing, until kale is wilted.
- Season with white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Mix ricotta and feta and season with salt and pepper and spread onto toast; spoon mushroom-kale mixture on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
More recipes from My West Michigan:
- This isn't your typical morning donut, it's better!
- Hot soup on a rainy day: Harissa Chickpea Soup
- Breakfast or brunch This delicious Mediterranean Frittata can do both
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.