GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Crispy, crunchy, delicious, sweet, tart -- it's apple season in Michigan and with hundreds of varieties and the right amount of creativity, you can cook up just about anything!
13 On Your Side's Kirk Montgomery took a trip to the Robinette's Apple Haus and Winery to learn all about apples and how they make great ingredients in all kinds of east, healthy and family-friend dishes. He was joined by dietitian Grace DeRocha from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Greek Yogurt
1 cup white whole wheat flour or plain white flour
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 large organic egg
½ cup apple cinnamon flavored Greek yogurt or plain, full fat or 1%
¼ cup melted coconut oil or heart-healthy oil
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup peeled and chopped Granny Smith apple
½ tsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. white whole wheat flour or plain white flour
2 Tbsp. quick oats
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
3 Tbsp. brown sugar, not packed
2 Tbsp. and ¼ melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven tot 350 degrees F. Spray 12 cavities of a muffin tin and lightly flour. Do not use muffin liners. Set aside
- In a large bowl, pour in the flour. Remove 1 Tbsp. of the flour and return it to the flour container. Add in the cornstarch, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- In another bowl, mix together a large egg, Greek yogurt, coconut oil (measured when melted), vanilla extract and brown sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Peel and finely chop the apple. Toss with the lemon juice and discard any extra lemon juice that doesn’t coat the apples. Toss with the flour mixture.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients until JUST combined. Over-mixing yields denser muffins.
- Fill up 12 muffin cavities evenly with the mixture – each cavity will be a little under ¾ of the way full.
- In another bowl, toss together the flour, quick oats, cinnamon and brown sugar. Pour in the coconut oil (measure when melted) and mix to combine. Add a bit more coconut oil if too dry or a bit more flour if too wet.
- Top each muffin evenly with this topping.
- Fill the empty cavities of the muffin tin with water to ensure even baking.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a fork comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing the muffins from the tin. Use a spoon to coax the muffins out after about 5-10 minutes
Apple Cranberry Meatballs
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup finely chopped, washed, cored and peeled Granny Smith apple
¼ cup finely chopped cranberries, fresh or dry
1 ½ Tbsp. finely chopped fresh sage
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. sea or kosher salt
½ tsp. black pepper
- Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place an ovenproof baking rack on top of a large, rimmed baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, breadcrumbs, olive oil, egg, apple, cranberries, sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Roll the meatball mixture into 1.5 to 2-inch balls. Arrange the meatballs on top of the prepared baking rack.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until cooked through.
MORE on My West Michigan:
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.