GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — March is National Nutrition Month and to celebrate 13 ON YOUR SIDE's Kirk Montgomery met up with Grace DeRocha from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan to cook something up.
Here is the recipe for a healthy breakfast when you are on the go.
Breakfast Egg Muffins
- 1 carton (24) of eggs or egg whites
- Your choice of veggies, meat and cheese. Options include:
- Baby spinach
- Chopped onion
- Chopped red pepper
- Chopped jalapeno
- Chopped ham or Canadian bacon
- Chopped mushrooms
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and fill the bottom of each cup with your choice of vegetables, cheese and meat. The amount is up to you; just avoid overfilling the cups.
- Top each cup with 1/3 cup egg or 2 egg whites.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Immediately remove eggs from muffin pan and let cool on a rack. Once cool, place 2 muffins in a Ziploc bag. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- To eat, remove muffins from bag and microwave for 1 minute.
March is National Nutrition Month and this year's theme is Eat Right, Bite by Bite. During the month of March, health experts and state help departments invite everyone to focus on the importance of making informed, healthy food-related decisions and get in the habit of regular physical fitness/activities.
Find more information about National Nutrition Month from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics on their website, eatright.org.
Check out this video of Kirk and Grace making homemade blueberry jam:
Here are even more healthy, but super tasty, recipes featuring Kirk and Grace's antics on My West Michigan:
- Winter comfort foods, but make it healthy
- All about Apples!
- This isn't your typical morning donut, it's better!
- Hot soup on a rainy day: Harissa Chickpea Soup
- Breakfast or brunch This delicious Mediterranean Frittata can do both
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.