GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. —
- Rating: 4.5 out of 5 buckets
- Release Date: December 25, 2019
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Best Age Group: 10+
- Sexual Content: Mild
- Violent/Disturbing Content: Moderate
- Crude or Profane Language: Mild
- Drug and Alcohol Content: Mild
- Will Kids Like It? Yes
"How little are they?" A comment from Joey on the TV show Friends. Little Women is an adaptation of Louisa May Alcott's classic novel (a book that Joey read) Little Women. It follows the lives of the four March sisters (Jo, Meg, Beth and Amy), set in Civil War era Massachusetts. We see their day to day struggles, a love interest with the new neighbor Laurie, and their lives from childhood to womanhood in the 1860’s.
The film will spark some great parent/child conversations. The March sisters have different goals and aspirations. For example, Jo is a modern woman. She pursues her writing career, which is difficult for a woman in the 1860's. Interestingly, she resists the idea from her publisher that if she wants her book published the heroine must die or be married by the end of the novel. On the other hand, Jo's sister Meg wants a more traditional life - her great ambition is to get married and have a family.
Sexual Content: Mild
- Characters kiss.
Violent/Disturbing Content: Moderate
- One of the girls becomes very sick with scarlet fever.
- A character falls through ice while skating.
- One of the girls burns her sister's important papers.
- The girls' father comes home injured from the war.
- There is the mature subject matter of death of a loved one.
Crude or Profane Language: Mild
- Name calling such as; "idiot," "savage," "foolish," and "selfish."
Drug and Alcohol Content: Mild
- Characters are shown drinking champagne at a party.
- We see a few drunk characters as well.
Will Kids Like It? Yes
Overall this is a wonderful and thought proving film. Depending on the child, appropriate for kids ages 10 and up.
For more of Jackie's reviews, visit www.boxofficemom.com
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.