GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Flavors from around the world come together on World Food Day, which is on Wednesday, Oct. 16.
World Food Day is celebrated in honor of the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in 1945. Whether you’re a business, farmer, government representative or simply someone that's willing to make a change, World Food Day is all about make healthy eating choices and living a #ZeroHunger a way of life.
13 On Your Side's Kirk Montgomery took a trip to the Robinette's Apple Haus and Winery to see Grace DeRocha from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and whip up the perfect, healthy recipes to celebrate!
Easy Crust-Free Taco Pie
1 lb. prepared taco meat with black beans
3 green onions thinly sliced
¼ cup salsa
1 cup Mexican blend cheese finely shredded and quantity divided
4 large eggs
2/3 cup milk or milk substitute of choice
½ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9” pie pan by spraying with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Stir in the green onions, salsa, ¾ cup of the cheese and salt.
- Stir in prepared taco meat and beans into mixture. Pour this mixture into the prepared pie pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake pie in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until the top is brown and the pie is set. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings such as salsa, plain Greek yogurt, guacamole, sliced green onions or whatever else sounds good.
Slow Cooker Korean Beef and Broccoli with Crunch Rice Cups
Beef and Broccoli
1 cup beef broth
½ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
½ cup brown sugar, packed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
1 tsp. sriracha or more to taste
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. pepper
3 lbs. very lean ground beef
3 heads of broccoli cut into small florets or about 6 cups frozen broccoli
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. sesame seeds
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Crunch Rice Cups
4 cups prepared Korean beef and broccoli recipe
3 cups cooked quinoa or brown rice
12-24 wonton wrappers
For the Beef and Broccoli filling
- In a large bowl, whisk together beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, sriracha, onion powder and pepper.
- Place ground beef into 6-qt slow cooker. Break up the beef thoroughly. Stir in beef broth mixture until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 4-5 hours or high heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally and breaking up the beef.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and ¼ cup water. Stir in mixture into slow cooker. Add broccoli and combine thoroughly. Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately with quinoa or brown rice, garnished with green onions and sesame seeds.
For the Crunchy Rice Cups
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Generously spray muffin tin then line 12 muffin cups with 1 or 2 won ton wrappers. For extra crunchy cups use 2 won ton wrappers.
- Combine prepared Korean beef and broccoli with quinoa and bake for 8-12 minutes until won tons are crispy.
More recipes on My West Michigan:
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.