Turkey Marinara Sauce with Zoodles
For the zoodles:
- 2 large zucchinis
- Olive oil
For the sauce:
- 1 package lean ground turkey
- 14 oz. marinara sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Italian blend spices
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
For the cheese garnish:
- 1 cup (8oz.) part-skim ricotta cheese
- ½ cup (4 oz.) low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. Parmesano Romano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Use the spiralizer as instructed to make zucchini noodles, called zoodles. If you do not have a spiralizer, you can finely chop zucchini into strips.
2. Saute zoodles in olive oil or other favorite heart healthy oil for about 3-5 minutes until al dente.
Turkey Marinara Sauce
1. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the ground turkey and cook until browned.
2. Drain any excess grease and then add in the marinara sauce, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
3. Simmer on low heat until ready to use.
Ricotta Cheese Garnish
1. Blend all of the ingredients, except for the spinach, in a food processor or blender until smooth.
2. Fold in the chopped spinach and set aside. Serve at room temperature or slightly warmed.
Putting it together
1. You will plate your zoodles.
2. Then place the turkey marinara sauce on top of the zoodles.
3. And to finish the dish, scoop a small amount of ricotta filling on top.
4. Serve warm and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast and / or boneless, skinless chicken thighs, or mixture (You can also use ground chicken)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup shredded carrots (about 1 medium carrot)
- ½ cup frozen edamame beans
- 4 oz. sliced water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 8 oz. reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. reduced sodium teriyaki sauce
- ½ tsp. freshly ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup brown rice, quinoa or mix already cooked
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- 12 leaves butterhead or iceberg lettuce
- Asian chili sauce (optional)
- Add chicken, bell pepper, yellow onion, carrots, edamame, water chestnuts, chicken broth, garlic, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, ginger, salt and pepper into slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-2.5 hours
- Strain the mixture and shred the chicken. Stir in rice/quinoa, hoisin sauce and green onions.
- Serve warm with lettuce wraps and Asian chili sauce. Enjoy!