GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — It's the cold and flu season and it's been a rough one for some of us, and we've still got a few months to go.
If you are suffering from congestion and just want some relief, here's a soothing shower hack for you: VapoRub shower melts.
Vapor rubs are typically a topical ointment made with camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol that are put on the throat, chest and nose to relieve congestion and cold symptoms. These shower melts are activated by hot water and steam, creating full body relief from your sniffles.
Here's the easy DIY from This N That with Olivia:
- Silcone Mold
- Vicks VapoRub (or any generic topical analgesic)
- Food Coloring (optional)
- Mix the cornstarch, Vapor Rub and water together.
- Add additional water as needed until a thick paste forms.
- Drizzle some blue and green soap colorants into the mixture and stir.
- Transfer the vapor rub paste into your silicone molds.
- Freeze to allow the shower steamers to harden.
HOW TO USE
Place one vapor rub melt on your shower floor and allow the hot water to run over it. This will activate the vapors from the Vicks rub to cause a steam in your shower that will help ease a cold or congestion.
Check out this FAQ by Vicks on how you can use VapoRub.
- Don't kiss the babies! How to protect against RSV
- I think I have the flu, what should I do?
- Cold and Flu: Which viruses are most dangerous?
- Norovirus vs. the flu: What are the symptoms?
- How to differentiate between the cold and flu this season
- ACHOO! Is it the cold or flu?
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.