GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Looking for something to do in West Michigan? Look no further!
Courtney Sheffer with West Michigan Tourism Association has compiled five of her top picks happening this month:
Mac Woods Dune Rides Opens for Season
- Experience the Silver Lake Sand Dunes like never before on our one-of-a-kind 40 minute, 7 mile ride. If the Lake MI beach is flooded, due to high waves, we are stopping on the dunes by Silver lake.
- These rides started in 1930. It was entertainment for Mac and the family at first. However, neighbors and persons passing by were so interested in his discovery that they talked Mac into making dune scootering a business.
- Since 1930, Mac Wood’s has provided you with a safe, fun-filled 7 mile dune tour ride lasting about 40 minutes. You are hosted by knowledgeable drivers who understand the history and environment of the constantly changing sand mountains. A Mac Wood’s Dune Ride is a thrilling experience!
- To climb to the summit and see spread in all directions such a vast panorama is breathtaking! Glide down the sweeps into the valleys, drive past sparkling Silver Lake, and see Lake Michigan’s lovely beach!
- Visitors of all ages enjoy the exciting, scenic rides. We are accessible to the mobility impaired. Come anytime! No reservations are needed except for groups of 20 or more. Bring your camera or video and sunglasses!
Grillapalooza 2019 at Herman’s Boy
- It’s a sure sign warmer weather has arrived, the 15th annual Grillapalooza at Herman’s Boy is scheduled for May 11 from 10am to 4pm. This event started as a spring break promotion when Herman’s Boy was still located downtown Rockford.
- Grillapalooza is an event celebrating all that Herman’s Boy offers in grilling – seasonings, sauces, grilling accessories and of course the Big Green Egg.
- Lots of food is cooked and sampled with children’s activities, music, and demos going on.
- For over 10 of the 15 years, Herman’s Boy has donated a Big Green Egg to raffle for local community groups as a fundraiser resulting in over $50,000 being raised!
- Come out for a great time all free to the public!
Michigan State Parks Centennial
- The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is celebrating 100 years of state parks – or the Michigan state parks centennial – throughout 2019.
- May 12 is an important date in Michigan’s history. On this date in 1919, the Michigan Legislature established the Michigan State Park Commission, paving the way for Michigan's state parks system.
- To capture special state park memories, a new online state parks memory map (we like to think of it as a dynamic, virtual guest book) is available to everyone. In one interactive map, you can read the special stories and enjoy the many photos (submitted by visitors and staff) that capture the spirit and appeal of these treasured outdoor places. The memory map can be found on the centennial website.
- Visit the state parks centennial website at Michigan.gov/StateParks100 to get the latest celebration news, program and event information and be a part of Michigan’s milestone year!
Bell’s Eccentric Cafe: Garden Season Kick-Off
- Bell’s Eccentric Cafe in Kalamazoo
- Garden season will kick-off with Opening Weekend on Friday, May 31, featuring Steppin’ In it with May Erlewine and the Motivations, and funk rock band, Lettuce on Saturday, June 1.
- Bring the whole family out to enjoy the Garden on Sunday, June 2 for a day packed full of free, family-friendly activities, games, specials, and musicians including The Crane Wives, Barn on Fire and more. This is a free day and open to all ages!
- For those interested in attending the full weekend’s schedule of events, a limited number of special weekend passes are available at Ticketweb.com.
- Garden Season has live music lined up at Bells from now through September 15
RELATED: Tulip Time kicks off in Holland
- Running now: May 4th-12th in Holland
- Klompen Garden: public art project celebrating the 90th Tulip Time Festival. 45 pairs of artfully designed large ‘wooden’ shoes have been installed in city parks and tulip beds throughout the downtown Holland area. Check out the shoes for an interactive experience and unique photo opportunity. Be sure to tag your social photos with #klompengarden!
- Tour the tall ship Friends Good Will from the Michigan Maritime Museum, which will be docked in Holland during Tulip Time.
- Plenty of events yet this week: Carnival, Yoga in the Tulips, Volksparade, Muziekparade, fireworks, and more.
For more information, visit www.wmta.org
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.