We've been seeing peeks of sunshine here and there the past few weeks, so it makes sense many of you have been breaking out the sunglasses.
If you're heading out to Spring Break or just thinking of a new pair, we're going to learn why it's important to wear sunglasses.
Anthony McConer is the Office Manager at Rx Optical Breton Village and shared the following tips.
Importance of Wearing Sunglasses
• Most people know that the sun's rays can be damaging to your skin, but it is just
as dangerous for your eyes.
• UV exposure can contribute to:
o The development of cataracts, a clouding of the eye's lens that can blur
o Macular degeneration, which destroys central vision and is the leading
cause of blindness in the United States.
o Pterygium, also known as "surfer's eye", which is a painful growth on the
o Cancer of the eye, eyelid or nearby skin.
• If after a long day in the sun you find that your eyes are watering, itchy, sensitive
to light, or dry, it is very possible you sunburned your eyes.
• You should still wear sunglasses while outdoors on a cloudy day. There are still
harmful UV rays present, as the sun can penetrate through the clouds.Buying/Owning Sunglasses
• When looking for sunglasses, make sure the lenses block 99% to 100% of both
UVA and UVB rays.
• Make sure your sunglasses are comfortable and something that you can wear
for several hours at a time.
• Keeping multiple pairs of sunglasses is helpful (one for your car, one in your purse, one in your golf bag, etc.)
For more information, click HERE.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.