GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — If you're still hoping to reach your resolutions, but can't bear to give up the cheesy goodness of nachos -- you're in luck!
Chef Char Morse joined My West Michigan Tuesday with a nacho recipe that loaded with vegetables and a "cheese" sauce that's totally vegan -- no dairy, gluten or nuts!
Vegan “Cheeze” Sauce
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup corn starch or arrowroot
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers in vinegar or water
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups water
- 1-2 Tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (optional, for spicy sauce)
- 1-2 Tablespoons canned green chilies (optional, for spicy sauce)
Measure all ingredients into a blender and mix on high for five minutes until sauce thickens. Sauce will eventually steam while mixing. Store unused sauce in refrigerator for up to five days.
Loaded Veggie Nachos
- 2 cups corn tortilla chips
- ½ cup lettuce, shredded fine
- ½ - 1 cup vegan “Cheeze” sauce (from recipe above)
- 2 Tablespoons black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons canned corn, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 Tablespoons sliced black olives, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 Tablespoon pickled jalapeños
- 2 Tablespoons onion, diced
- 1-2 Tablespoons salsa or hot sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
On a large platter, place the chips and lettuce, then pour on the amount of “Cheeze” sauce desired. Top with the black beans, corn, olives, tomatoes, jalapeños, onion, salsa and cilantro. Enjoy!
If you like these recipes, Chef Char is putting on a Vegan Cooking Class at Kitchen 242 on Thursday, Jan. 16 at 6 p.m. in the Muskegon Farmers Market.
Tickets to sign up for the class are available at here.
Check out Chef Char's other classes on Eventbrite.
More recipes and food on 13 ON YOUR SIDE:
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.