GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — It's time to get your ugly on -- your ugly Christmas sweaters!
Over the past 40 years ugly sweaters have transitioned from cringe-worthy attired to a must-have for the holiday season. The trend really picked up in the 1980s -- that when sweaters that were hideous on purpose first came on the scene.
And did you know Vancouver, Canada is considered the ugly Christmas sweater capitol of the world? There's even a "National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day." It's on the third Friday of December, so this year is falls on Friday, December 15. If you don't already have a go-to garish garment to celebrate the day, we've got you covered.
Every year, new and hilarious versions of ugly holiday sweaters pop up and this year is no exception. Some representatives from Meijer took a trip to the 13 ON YOUR SIDE studios to give us a look at what they've got this year and how you can get in on the ugly Christmas sweater fun.
- Meijer Gardens holiday exhibition opens this week
- Ring in the holidays with a tour of Canadian Lakes’ Nights of Lights
- Take your holiday cookies up a notch
- 100th Santa Parade marches through downtown Grand Rapids
- Find unique handcrafted gifts at The Very Merry Market Day
- Grand Rapids Christmas display with 20,000 lights tells story of redemption and hope
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.