GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — New year, new you! If you've made resolutions to be healthier in the new year, but still want to enjoy a cocktail or two -- these recipes from the Original Tin Cup are what you need!
The owner of the Original Tin Cup and Saint Liberty Distillery, Nate Blury, joined My West Michigan on Thirsty Thursday with some tips on how to put together a healthy seltzer.
"Simple swaps make a huge difference in sugar and calories," Nate said.
Healthy Seltzer Tips:
- Cut out pre-mixed simple syrups and make your own.
- Use honey or agave nectar as a sweetener, instead of white or brown sugar.
- Infuse your spirits with fresh fruits to maximize flavor and minimize calories.
- Make your own juice.
- Check out canned seltzers.
- Make your own seltzer with a soda stream or go to your local grocery store and start a base.
Healthy Seltzer Recipes:
- 2oz G4 Tequila
- 4oz Limeade
- Top off with seltzer
- 4-5 mint leaves
- Lime garnish
Muddle mint leaves, tequila, and limeade pour over ice and top off with seltzer.
Gin & Topo Chico
- 2 oz Knickerbocker Gin
- 1 oz Lime juice
- 3 oz Topo Chico
Mix ingredients together and garnish with mint leaves and lime wheel.
In addition to being healthier in the new year, Nate suggested making healthier choices for the planet with the Original Tin Cup's reusable drinking straws. The MI AWESOME Edition donates a portion of the proceeds to the alliance for the great lakes.
Information and recipes courtesy of Nate Blury.
MORE on 13 ON YOUR SIDE:
- #ThirstyThursday: Prohibition-Era Cocktails
- Living Lark's Holly Brunch Cocktail recipe
- Loaded Veggie Nachos with Vegan 'Cheeze' Sauce
- Sous Vide Steaks with Chef Char
- Meal prep for the new year: Freezer edition
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.