GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Paul Beachnau from the Gaylord Area Convention and Visitors Bureau and Kevin Mckinley from Treetops Resort stopped by to talk ski season. They also shared with us a winter checklist:
- Make plans to attend the annual Michigan’s Richest Snowmobile Fun Run on Feb. 23. 800-345-8621 or www.snowmobilegaylord.com
- Truly enjoy winter at Gaylord’s Annual Alpenfrost - Frosty 5K, carriage rides and other winter fun. www.gaylordalpenfrost.com
- Float the not-so-frozen Sturgeon River in a raft. 231-525-6878, www.sturgeonriverpaddle.com or 231-238-8181, www.bigbearadventures.com
- Check in with winter wildlife at Aspen Park. Thanks to the white background, photographing the elk and beaver pond is never better. Take Otsego Avenue south to Commerce Boulevard’s end. 989-732-4060
- Nab a 55-minute pass for some extreme tubing at Treetops Resort. 888-TREETOPS or visit www.treetops.com
- Shout “Woo-woo-woo!” all the way to Mackinaw City as you snowmobile the former North Central Michigan Railroad Corridor. 231-348-8280
- Snowshoe along the Sturgeon River in the super secluded, super quiet, no snowmobiles allowed Green Timbers section of the Pigeon River Country State Forest. See the map at: www.pigeonrivercountryforest.org/greentimbers.htm
- Get to the trails…cross country style! Whether a beginner or expert, you’ll find miles of trails to suit your taste. Boasting over 180 inches of annual snowfall and heavily wooded rolling terrain, the Gaylord area offers some of the most enjoyable and challenging cross country skiing in Michigan. Visit www.gaylordmichigan.net for trail maps.
- Are you an angler that can’t get enough? Cut a hole in the hard stuff and start a great Gaylord winter tradition — drop a line and do some ice fishing on one of the many lakes in Otsego County! Learn more at www.gaylordmichigan.net
- Ride the old fashioned way—in a horse-drawn open sleigh—at the Cook Family Farm. Afterward, warm up inside with hot cocoa. Don’t forget to browse the shop for even more homemade goodness: syrup, jams, jellies, honey, eggs, natural meats and soy candles. Call to schedule your sleigh ride adventure, Cook Family Farm 989-731-1332
RELATED: Great Lakes Winter Trails
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.