Bones from 1-2 chickens or 4-5 chicken backs
1/2 cup white wine, optional
1 onion, sliced in half
2 carrots, whole
3 stalks of celery whole
4 heads of garlic cut in half
1 tbsp. whole peppercorns
3 bay leaves
1 bundle of parsley stems
3-4 sprigs of thyme, optional
2 sprigs of rosemary, optional
2 gallons of cold water
1. Roast the bones in a 350 degree oven for an hour (or use leftover bones from a chicken roast).
2. Once bones are roasted, place in a large stock pot and deglaze with white wine, optional.
3. Cover with cold water, add garlic and simmer for 2 hours.
4. Add remaining vegetables, herbs and spices and simmer an additional one hour.
5. Strain. Cool.
6. Skim off any remaining fat.
7. Ladle into freezer safe containers (quart size deli containers work nicely, do not use glass) and freeze cooled stock.
8. Enjoy when needed.
9. *note* Add salt when you use the chicken stock, not before
Chef Jennifer Zirkle is a personal chef. You can learn more about her and her services on her website, http://www.jenthegingerchef.com/