We have all tried, and failed, a few New Year's Resolutions. They can be a major source of excitement or dread depending on what they are and how we go about trying to achieve them. Amy Ritsema from OnSite Wellness shared some tips to help us reach our goals this year.
1. Start small. Keep your goals realistic, there’s no need to be overzealous. That will only set you up for failure. If you have a big goal in mind, set smaller goals that will help lead you to your long-term goal. Baby steps is key! Don’t forget to reward yourself for the little wins along the way.
2. Make a plan. Increase your chance of success by creating a SMART goal. To make sure your goals are clear and reachable, each one should be:
- Specific (simple, sensible, significant).
- Measurable (meaningful, motivating).
- Achievable (agreed, attainable).
- Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based).
- Time bound (time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive).
3. Make it personal. Don’t just set any goal because you feel obligated to make a New Year’s resolution. If a goal doesn’t hold meaning to you, you’ll find a lack in motivation to meet that goal.
4. Surround yourself with people who support you, not sabotage you.
No matter what you do, remember, it's okay to take a break for a moment, but too long a break becomes a stop.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.