GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Just because it's healthy doesn't mean it needs to be boring. Chef Mark Kingshott took us to Vietnam with a delicious grilled pork "noodle" bowl.
Vietnamese Grilled Pork and “Noodle” Bowl
- 1 lb pork loin or pork tenderloin
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium shallots
- 2 TB honey
- 2 TB sesame oil
- 2 TB aminos
- 1 TB fish sauce
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 medium zucchini
- ¼ cup salted and roasted cashews
- ½ an English cucumber, sliced thin
- Fresh Mint
- Fresh Basil
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium daikon radish
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- Juice of 2 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 scallions sliced
- Bibb Lettuce
- Nuoc Cham
- ½ cup water
- 3 TB fish sauce
- 2 tsp Honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 TB rice vinegar
- ½ TB chili flakes
- Cut pork into thin strips, place in a bowl or ziplock bag.
- In a food processor, place garlic, shallots, honey, sesame oil and aminos.
- Blend until smooth. Pour over pork and chill for 1 hour to overnight.
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients for Nuoc Cham, set aside in fridge until needed.
- In another bowl, add rice vinegar, lime juice and ½ tsp of salt.
- Mix with a whisk.
- Peel carrot and daikon radish, cut into thin matchsticks.
- Place in the bowl of rice vinegar and lime juice, mix and let pickle for 1 hour. Set aside.
- With a mandolin or Chinese spiralizer, cut zucchini into noodle-like ribbons.
- Heat a saute pan, add a splash of olive oil in a medium hot pan.
- Add zucchini and saute until it just begins to wilt.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove pork from fridge, heat a grill pan, saute pan or grill on medium to high heat.
- Drain pork into a colander then cook until meat is cooked through.
- While pork is cooking, set up 4 bowls, place 1 to 2 leaves of bibb lettuce.
- Take 1 bunch of mint and 1 bunch of basil and rough chop it.
- Place in evenly to each bowl. Add zucchini “noodles."
- Drain carrots and daikon, add to each bowl.
- Once pork is cooked, add to bowls.
- Use nuoc cham as desired over bowls.
To learn more about Mark Kingshott, click here.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this.Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.