Everyone loves food and a healthy diet isn't always something we think about during the holidays. Chef Char Morse shows us a healthy gift in a Mason jar for the people on your holiday list who already have everything.
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/2 cup dry split peas (green)
- 1/2 cup dry split peas (yellow)
- 1/4 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons powdered garlic
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked tri-color rotini pasta
- Using a clean wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar, layer each ingredient in order as listed above.
- Before adding pasta to the jar, wrap the pasta in clear plastic wrap so that it may be easily removed when needed. To make this recipe preparation neater, consider using a canning funnel with about a 2-inch neck to fill the jar with ingredients.
- Attach tag with cooking instructions:
- “In a large kettle, brown 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey.
- Remove tricolor pasta from top of jar and reserve.
- Add the rest of the jar contents to the kettle with 8 cups water and one 28-ounce can petite diced tomatoes.
- Let come to a boil, then cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add tricolor pasta and simmer 15 minutes more.
- Serve with your favorite bread or crackers.
Like this recipe? Chef Char has several other recipes and simple meal ideas to share! Join Chef Char for a cooking class in Kitchen 242 at the Muskegon Farmers Market (242 W. Western Avenue in downtown Muskegon). Cooking class tickets and culinary topics are available here. Follow Chef Char Morse on Facebook.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.